Thursday, September 13, 2012

Japanese Potato Salad

I am craving for potato salad! I can always make one for myself at home. But I guess I wanted to find another potato salad recipe. Have you ever tried Japanese potato salad? It tastes so good, I always have one when I', at the Japanese restaurant. So, I guess I'm lucky to find this recipe at the right time. It's a recipe of a Japanese potato salad by Pickled Plum. Surely going to make this today =)

Ingredients
  • 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 medium size carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 English cucumber, cut in 1/4 lengthwise, finely chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp sake
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

Cooking Directions
  1. Boil potatoes and carrots until tender but still a little firm.
  2. In a bowl, pour a little salt and sugar over the cucumbers (about 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp sugar), mix with your fingers and leave to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excess water from the cucumber, rinse quickly under cold water and squeeze again.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and ginger.
  4. With a potato masher, mash about 1/2 of the mixture, add cucumber, mayonnaise, sake, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well with a spoon or spatula.
  5. Adjust taste and texture (by adding more mayo) to your liking. Serve.
(image and recipe by Pickled Plum)