- Start preparing to pack a few days before you travel. Keep a running list of things to take, or put items out on a table or dresser as you think of them.
- Use a diaper bag with a waterproof lining and a shoulder strap.
- Be prepared for leaky diapers and baby spit-up on the airplane: Tuck an extra outfit or two for your baby – and an extra shirt for you – into your carry-on bag.
- Prevent leaks by packing medicines and toiletries in resealable plastic bags.
- Pack each of your baby's outfits in its own zipped plastic bag so you don't have to hunt around for tiny socks, shirts, and so on.
- Take your camera, battery charger, and an extra memory card.
- Take a clip-on reading light so you can read without disturbing your baby.
- Take the phone number for your baby's healthcare provider in case you have questions while you're on the road.