* 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 3/4 cup sugar
* pinch salt
* 1-1/2 cups milk
* 6 cups ice
* pinch xanthan gum (optional)
* whipped cream
* chocolate shavings
- Place the chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate for one minute at 50% power. Stir. If necessary, continue heating in 30-second increments until chocolate is nearly melted (residual heat will melt any remaining chocolate solids).
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, sugar and pinch of salt and stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the base of a blender. Add the ice and a pinch of xanthan gum, if using. Process until smooth. Pour into four to six individual glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.