- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen), sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%, but I imagine you could substitute soy or almond milk)
- In a medium saucepan, boil the strawberries, sugar, water, and vanilla extract for 10-12 minutes, or until the strawberries release all their juices and the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and run the mixture through a fine mesh sieve (save the cooked strawberries to put on yogurt, ice cream, or pancakes). Refrigerate the syrup until cool.
- Stir together the syrup and milk (if too sweet, you could add 1/2 cup more milk to dilute the flavor) and serve in chilled glasses. Enjoy!