Thursday, January 14, 2010

Build the trust

I always value trust. I always keep my trust to people and their trust on me. Whatever happens I think trust between me and other people is very important that I really put a high value on it. Once I trust people, I give them 100% trust. i always try my best to give the fullest trust to the person and not to worry myself with bad things that can ruin my mind. What do you think about truth and trust? Are the two elements connected? I think so. I think by always saying the truth (even when it hurts), you can always build trust to other people and they will in return trust you. Here are 5 ways to build trust...
5 Ways to Build Trust

We often simply focus on whether we can trust others. But perhaps more importantly the question to be asked is: Can others trust me? Whether at your workplace or your home, look to these characteristics to help you build trust.

1) Communicate. Open and honest, constructive communication is probably the most important element in building trust. Sure, promises are made that cannot be kept. When that happens, be honest. Take the time to explain. If you are leading a project and the direction must be changed midstream, share that information with your team members - before the changes are implemented. If you are afraid of the responses you will get, then it is probably even more important that you explain the circumstances sooner than later. If you are willing to trust others by taking the hot seat, others will see that they can trust you when the situation is reversed.

2) Listen. When someone brings information to you that is difficult to hear, take the time to sit quietly and listen. Understand that information that is hard to hear, is also difficult to deliver and they have taken a risk to be the messenger. As you are listening, remember to breathe and give the other person time to deliver the whole message before reacting. As much as we don't want to receive bad news, it is a part of life. Especially in the workplace it is important that you recognize the position of the messenger, provide them with a safe and supportive environment and work with them to create a solution. Listening to bad news in a timely manner, is far better than hearing it later and being unable to find a solution.

3) Be consistent. Nothing wears down trust faster than being unpredictable. One day you are smiling and telling one co-worker to go home early, the next day you are growling at the other person when they leave 5 minutes early. Your personal likes and dislikes for other people do not belong displayed in the workplace. Keep your behaviors consistent and fair. You don't need to like someone to be respectful of them.

4) Tell the truth. I know some people who can take this a little too far. Tell the truth when the outcome of the task, project, work or family dynamics dictates. In other words, the fact that you don't like the color of the person's shirt, is probably not a necessary piece of information to share. However, it is necessary that you admit when an oversight has been made. I value people who can come to me and tell me that they have made an error (or they think they have made an error) and then work with me to find a solution.

5) Do what you say you will. If you have said you will, then do. Haven't you worked with people who have made promises, only to never follow through. And after a point, you stop trusting that they will do anything they say they will.

“In the small matters trust the mind, in the large ones the heart.”
— Sigmund Freud
(source by by Andrea G. Gordon, M.Ed. from Selfgrowth.com-image via here and here)

No comments: