Friday, August 14, 2009

Haiku

Haiku..what a word! Not because it means something super but it has been a word that I've been hearing a lot lately. I know that it has something to do with things such as poem but I don't actually know the real meaning of it. So, I looked up on the web to find out about it. Now I know about what it is and turns out that I'm a big fan of it. For me it's like making a very short poem but the meaning of it is so powerful. Want to know my first haiku? This is what I've made...hopefully it sounds good=) So,here goes my first one...

when my heart feels fear
worry burns my logic sense
that's when prayer comes
Here's the info about Haiku.

What is Haiku?
Haiku is one of the most important form of traditional Japanese poetry. Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables. Since early days, there has been confusion between the three related terms Haiku, Hokku and Haikai. The term hokku literally means "starting verse", and was the first starting link of a much longer chain of verses known as haika. Because the hokku set the tone for the rest of the poetic chain, it enjoyed a privileged position in haikai poetry, and it was not uncommon for a poet to compose a hokku by itself without following up with the rest of the chain.

How to Write a Haiku

  • Step 1
    Think about a theme for your haiku and write down some of the words that come to mind on that theme.
  • Step 2
    Organize your thoughts roughly onto three lines. First, set the scene, then expand on that by expressing a feeling, making an observation or recording an action. Keep it simple.
  • Step 3
    Polish your haiku into three lines, the first with five syllables, the second line with seven syllables and the third line with five syllables. It may take some time and substitution of words to make it fit

(source from toyomasu.com and wikihow.com-image via imgfave.com)

No comments: