Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ice cream

The rain just stopped in here but I don't know why my mind seems to think about ice cream for the last couple of hours. Maybe because this morning I made a chocolate cake with the topping of whipped cream. My family members like it. It was my first time on making chocolate cake. That's kind of weird I guess, considering that I love to bake and I'm so in love with chocolate. So, yesterday I was browsing for the easiest chocolate cake recipe and I found one here. The recipe was so good and yes it is so easy. I will surely stick to this recipe whenever I'm making a chocolate cake. So, when my sister and I were having a small chat while having the chocolate cake, she said that my chocolate would be so nice if we could have it with chocolate melt and vanilla ice cream as the toppings. I was like hmmm that's true. We should have ice cream for this chocolate cake. I believe that's the trigger of why I kept thinking about ice cream until now. In this weather, hot chocolate, hot tea or hot coffee should be the one that I should drink =) So here I am making a posting about ice cream on Thursday afternoon.

Ice cream recipes first appear in 18th century England and America. A recipe for ice cream was published in Mrs. Mary Eales's Receipts in 1718. Before the development of modern refrigeration, ice cream was a luxury item reserved for special occasions. Making ice cream was quite laborious. Ice was cut from lakes and ponds during the winter and stored in large heaps, in holes in the ground, or in wood-frame ice houses, insulated by straw.Ice cream was made by hand in a large bowl placed inside a tub filled with ice and salt. This was called the pot-freezer method.The development of industrial refrigeration by German engineer Carl von Linde during the 1870s eliminated the need to cut and store natural ice and when the continuous-process freezer was perfected in 1926, it allowed commercial mass production of ice cream and the birth of the modern ice cream industry.
The meaning of the term ice cream varies from one country to another. Terms like frozen custard, frozen yogurt, sorbet, gelato and others are used to distinguish different varieties and styles. In some countries, like the USA, the term ice cream applies only to a specific variety, and their governments regulate the commercial use of all these terms based on quantities of ingredients.[1] In others, like Italy and Argentina, one word is used for all the variants. Alternatives made from soy milk, rice milk, and goat milk are available to those who are unable to enjoy traditional ice cream due to lactose intolerance or allergy to dairy protein.

True or False. How far do you know the benefits of ice cream for your health?

  1. Ice cream is a good source of calcium.
  2. In general, less expensive ice cream has less fat.
  3. Federal standards require that anything labeled ice cream must be made with a minimum of 10 percent cream, milk or butter fat.
  4. Ice cream is low in protein.
  5. Usually low-fat ice cream and low-fat ices are lower in calories.
  6. Ice milk is about 6 percent fat and 50 percent air.
  7. Fruit ices are about 200 calories per cup.
  8. Low-fat frozen yogurts may be lower in fat, but they are usually higher in sugar than regular ice cream.
  9. A half-cup serving of fat-free frozen yogurt with artificial sweetener has more than 100 calories.
  10. Just a sugar cone without ice cream has 60 calories, and a chocolate-dipped waffle cone has more than 200 calories.

Answers: 1. True; 2. True; 3. True; 4. False; 5. False; 6. True; 7. True; 8. True; 9. False; 10. True

(sources from wikipedia and dallasnews.com - images from foodgawker.com)

No comments: